The Community Advisory Committee was established by city ordinance on December 7, 2010. It is composed of 15 citizens who are appointed by the mayor and city council. The mission of the committee is to enhance citizen understanding, communication, and cooperation between the police department and the community. The committee meets once a month and acts in an advisory capacity to the Chief of Police.
Duties and responsibilities of the committee include:
- Assisting the police department in achieving a greater understanding of complex police/community issues;
- Studying, examining, and recommending methods and approaches to develop an active citizen-police partnership in the prevention of crime;
- Promoting cooperative citizen-police programs and approaches in order to resolve community crime problems and police/community issues;
- Recommending policies, programs, and/or legislation that will enhance cooperation among citizens and the police department;
- Receiving information concerning police department programs, services, and operations;
- Acting as a liaison between the community and the police department on matters addressed by the committee;
- Participating in meaningful dialogue and providing meaningful input related to the objectives of the committee;
- Assuming other tasks or duties to facilitate the accomplishment of the committee objectives.
For any other information concerning the Community Advisory Committee, call the Police Department Administrative Office at 880-3801.